Lesson Plan: Estimating Length: Metric Units Mathematics • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to estimate the lengths of different real-life objects by choosing the most logical unit of length and value in metric units.
Students will be able to
- choose to measure the length or height of objects in either millimetres, centimetres, metres, or kilometres,
- select the most likely length of an object,
- estimate the lengths of objects.
Students should already be familiar with
- metric units of linear measurement,
- using number sense to reason and solve problems.
Students will not cover
- standard units of linear measurement,
- metric units of mass, capacity/volume, or temperature,
- making actual measurements.