Lesson Plan: Properties of 2D Shapes Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to analyze 2D shapes to identify their attributes, sort them according to their attributes, and determine whether they always, sometimes, or never have given attributes.
Students will be able to
- describe the properties of two-dimensional shapes,
- identify common 2D shapes by their attributes,
- sort 2D shapes according to their attributes,
- investigate and describe the defining and nondefining attributes of 2D shapes.
Students should already be familiar with
- recognizing common 2D shapes,
- sides of 2D shapes,
- vertices of 2D shapes.
Students will not cover
- 3D shapes.