Lesson Plan: Choosing Strategies to Add Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use different strategies to add two numbers with sums up to 20 and choose which strategy is the best.
Students will be able to
- compare and use different mental arithmetic strategies,
- select the most appropriate strategy to add two numbers with a sum up to 20 mentally,
- apply mental arithmetic strategies to solve addition “story problems”.
Students should already be familiar with
- reading and writing numbers up to 20,
- reading addition sentences both vertically and horizontally,
- adding two numbers up to 20 by counting on,
- adding two numbers up to 20 by making ten,
- using doubles and doubles plus one to add two numbers up to 20.
Students will not cover
- adding numbers on a number line.