Lesson Plan: Adding One-Digit Numbers by Making Ten Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to apply the strategy of making a ten in order to add one-digit numbers.
Students will be able to
- break apart numbers, such as decomposing 5 into 3 and 2,
- recognize situations in which making a ten is a reasonable strategy for solving addition problems,
- use models to solve addition problems using the strategy of making a ten,
- solve addition problems using the strategy of making a ten without using models.
Students should already be familiar with
- basic concepts of addition,
- reading addition sentences written both vertically and horizontally.
Students will not cover
- sums greater than 18,
- the use of number lines to model addition problems.