Lesson Plan: Sum and Difference of Two Cubes Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to factor the sum and the difference of two cubes.
Students will be able to
- identify expressions that are sums or differences of two cubes,
- factor the sum of two cubes using the formula ,
- factor the difference of two cubes using the formula ,
- factor the difference of two squares that results in the product of a sum and a difference of two cubes that can then be factored subsequently,
- factor the sum and the difference of two cubes after removing a common factor from each term and factor expressions where one of the cubes is an algebraic expression,
- evaluate algebraic expressions using the sum or difference of cubes.
Students should already be familiar with
- the difference of two squares,
- cube roots of perfect cubes and rational numbers.
Students will not cover
- sums and differences of higher-order expressions,
- factoring by grouping.