Lesson Plan: Acid Dissociation Constants Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to write equations for the dissociation constants of acids and bases and calculate their values.
Students will be able to
- explain the term acid dissociation constant, , and base dissociation constant, ,
- write the general equations for and ,
- write equations for and for specific acids and bases,
- calculate the values of or , giving the values the correct units,
- describe the relationship between and acid strength.
Students should already be familiar with
- acidity and basicity,
- strong and weak acids.
Students will not cover
- or ,
- the relationship between , , and ,
- calculating pH from and vice versa,
- the degree of ionization.