Lesson Plan: Simplifying Monomials: Quotient Rule Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to divide monomials involving single and multiple variables.
Students will be able to
- simplify quotients of numerical or algebraic monomials, including single or multiple variables (without exponents),
- simplify quotients of numerical or algebraic monomials, including single or multiple variables (with exponents),
- understand that the result of dividing one monomial by another will often, but not always, itself be a monomial,
- divide monomials to solve geometric problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- identifying monomials,
- rules of exponents,
- multiplying monomials.
Students will not cover
- terms that are not monomials (negative or fractional exponents, etc.),
- dividing monomials by algebraic expressions.