Lesson Plan: Front-End Estimation Strategy: Three-Digit Numbers
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to estimate the sum and difference of two three-digit numbers using the front-end estimation strategy.
Students will be able to
- identify the digit with the highest place value in a three-digit number,
- round three digits to the highest place value,
- estimate the sum of three-digit numbers by rounding to the highest place value,
- estimate the differences between three-digit numbers by rounding to the highest place value,
- reflect on the accuracy of using front-end estimation strategy.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiples of a hundred,
- the three-digit place value,
- addition and subtraction of three-digit numbers.
Students will not cover
- other estimating strategies.