Lesson Plan: The Genetic Code Biology
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to describe the nature of the genetic code and recall how information is transferred from DNA to protein.
Students will be able to
- recall that information is transferred from DNA to mRNA to protein by transcription and translation,
- recognize the purpose of codons and derive a sequence of amino acids from given codons,
- describe the nature of the genetic code as being nonoverlapping, degenerate, and universal.
Students should already be familiar with
- the concept that DNA is the genetic material of humans,
- the basics of transcription and translation.