Lesson Plan: Converting and Comparing Capacity: Metric Units Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to convert, compare, and order units of capacity within the metric system using fractions and decimals.
Students will be able to
- multiply and divide to convert between different units of capacity, including fractions, decimals, and whole numbers up to one million,
- solve capacity word problems involving converting, adding, and subtracting units of measure,
- compare and order up to four different measurements,
- form and solve algebraic equations representing capacity word problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- converting metric units of capacity by breaking apart the number,
- using an understanding of tenths, hundredths, and thousandths to convert between units.
Students will not cover
- formal multiplication and division of decimals.