Lesson Plan: Adding Ones to Teen Numbers Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use different strategies to add a single-digit number to a teen number to give a total within 20.
Students will be able to
- use models to help add a single-digit number to a teen number,
- partition the teen number addend to help add a single-digit number,
- count on from the teen number addend to help add a single-digit number,
- solve word-based problems involving addition of single-digit numbers to teen numbers.
Students should already be familiar with
- teen numbers,
- adding numbers to 10,
- modeling additions using objects/counters/blocks.
Students will not cover
- adding to numbers greater than 19,
- totals greater than 20.