Lesson Plan: Measuring Volume with Unit Cubes Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to measure the volume of an object by counting cubic units.
Students will be able to
- define volume as the amount of space that an object takes up,
- count cubes to measure volume,
- compare volumes of shapes using unit cubes,
- use cm3 to describe the volume of a shape.
Students should already be familiar with
- common 3D shapes,
- finding the areas and perimeters of 2D shapes.
Students will not cover
- units to measure volume other than cubic units and cm3,
- the formula for the volume of rectangular prisms.