Lesson Plan: Linear Transformations in Planes: Scaling Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the matrix that scales a vector by a given scaling factor and the image of the vector under a scaling linear transformation.
Students will be able to
- calculate the image of a single vector under a scaling linear transformation,
- calculate the image of a shape in the 2D plane under a scaling linear transformation,
- interpret the geometric effect of applying a given scaling matrix,
- find the matrix that represents a scaling of a vector or shape by a given factor.
Students should already be familiar with
- matrix multiplication,
- function transformations in the plane.
Students will not cover