Lesson Plan: Multiplying Mixed Numbers Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the products of mixed numbers by multiplying the numerators and denominators.
Students will be able to
- multiply a mixed number and a proper fraction by decomposing the mixed number into a part and whole,
- multiply two mixed numbers by decomposing both into a part and whole,
- multiply a mixed number and a proper fraction by converting the mixed number to an improper fraction,
- multiply two mixed numbers by converting them to improper fractions.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiplying mixed numbers using area models,
- simplifying fractions.
Students will not cover
- estimating products of fractions.