Lesson Plan: Galvanic Cells Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe a galvanic cell and explain how E^⊖ values are measured.
Students will be able to
- describe the setup of a half-cell,
- explain the combination of two half-cells to form a galvanic electrochemical cell,
- explain why a voltage is generated by a galvanic cell,
- describe and explain the importance of the standard hydrogen electrode,
- explain the measurement of the standard electrode potential, .
Students should already be familiar with
- reduction and oxidation,
Students will not cover
- calculation of standard cell potentials,
- analysis or use of the electromotive series.