Lesson Plan: Coordinate Planes Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to define the different types of coordinate planes and the coordinates of a point and place points on the plane.
Students will be able to
- understand the definition of a coordinate plane in its most general form,
- understand the different types of coordinate planes (oblique, orthogonal, and orthonormal),
- define the coordinates of a point on a coordinate plane and place the point on this coordinate plane,
- configure a coordinate plane given its definition and find the coordinates of points according to this configuration.
Students should already be familiar with
- number lines,
- reading point coordinates in an orthonormal coordinate plane,
- 2D shapes and their properties.
Students will not cover
- 3D coordinate system.