Lesson Plan: The Perpendicular Distance between Points and Straight Lines in Space Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the perpendicular distance between a point and a straight line or between two parallel lines in space using a formula.
Students will be able to
- calculate the perpendicular distance between a point and a straight line,
- calculate the perpendicular distance between two parallel lines.
Students should already be familiar with
- calculating the dot and cross products of two 3D vectors,
- understanding and finding the equation of a straight line in space in different forms,
- understanding the relationship between straight lines in space (parallel or perpendicular).