Lesson Plan: Data Collection Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to recognize the differences between, and the advantages of using, primary and secondary data sources.
Students will be able to
- understand the difference between a primary and secondary data source and compare advantages and disadvantages,
- determine sources of primary and secondary data,
- recognize when a primary or secondary data source has been used.
Students should already be familiar with
- working with data, such as organizing data in a table, displaying data in a graph, and calculating averages.
Students will not cover
- sampling and population methods of collecting data,
- biased and unbiased sampling.