Lesson Plan: Subtracting Fractions with Unlike Denominators Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to subtract two proper fractions with different denominators by finding a common denominator.
Students will be able to
- represent subtraction of fractions using models including bar models,
- subtract unit fractions with different denominators,
- subtract proper fractions with different denominators.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding common denominators of fractions using multiplication and division up to .
Students will not cover
- finding least common multiples using prime factors.