Lesson Plan: Conservation of Mass Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to define and explain the conservation of mass in chemical reactions.
Students will be able to
- define the law of conservation of mass,
- describe how atoms rearrange during chemical reactions,
- show how mass is conserved in chemical reactions,
- link balanced symbol equations to the concept of conservation of mass,
- calculate the masses of the products and reactants of simple chemical reactions.
Students should already be familiar with
- the structure of the atom.
Students will not cover
- the use of state symbols in balanced symbol equations.