Lesson Plan: Atomic Numbers and Mass Numbers Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to define and calculate the atomic numbers and mass numbers of different atoms.
Students will be able to
- define the atomic number and mass number in terms of the nucleus, atom, or ion and isotope,
- interpret nuclide notation to calculate the number of subatomic particles in different atoms, ions, and isotopes,
- use the relationship between an element, the atomic number, and the number of protons in the nuclei to find additional information about an element from the periodic table,
- explain the difference between the average atomic mass and mass number in order to correctly use and describe the numbers on the periodic table.
Students should already be familiar with
- the structure of the atom.