Lesson Plan: Covalent Bonds Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe the formation of covalent bonds in simple molecules.
Students will be able to
- define and describe covalent bonding between atoms of nonmetals,
- describe and explain single, double, and triple covalent bonds,
- show covalent bonding using dot-and-cross diagrams,
- identify the number of covalent bonds from dot-and-cross diagrams,
- describe the role of electrons in the creation of covalent bonds,
- explain how a full outer shell affects reactivity,
- give nonmetal oxides as examples of covalent compounds.
Students should already be familiar with
- the electronic structure of nonmetals.
Students will not cover
- more complex molecules outside of , , , , , , and .