Lesson Plan: Column Subtraction of Three-Digit Numbers: Regrouping Tens Mathematics • 2nd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use column subtraction to subtract from three-digit numbers when we have to regroup a ten.
Students will be able to
- subtract two- and three-digit numbers from three-digit numbers with regrouping of tens,
- make connections between concrete and abstract models of regrouping,
- use a formal algorithm to solve calculations.
Students should already be familiar with
- column subtraction of three-digit numbers without regrouping.
Students will not cover
- regrouping of hundreds,
- subtracting across zeros,
- estimating answers,
- numbers with more than three digits.