Lesson Plan: Comparing fractions with the Same Numerator Mathematics • 3rd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to compare two fractions with the same numerator using models.
Students will be able to
- explain that splitting a number or shape into more equal parts makes each part smaller,
- find which of two fractions is larger,
- find which of two fractions is smaller.
Students should already be familiar with
- identifying the numerator and denominator in a fraction,
- dividing shapes into equal parts,
- defining the denominator as the total number of equal parts,
- comparing and ordering unit fractions.
Students will not cover
- comparing fractions with the same denominator,
- ordering fractions with the same numerator.