Lesson Plan: Ratios
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use a ratio to describe the relationship between two quantities, simplify ratios, and find equivalent ratios.
Students will be able to
- use ratio to describe the relationship between two quantities, expressed with ratio notation,
- understand how two quantities expressed as a ratio can be expressed proportionally as a fraction, and vice versa,
- recognize that a ratio expressed in its simplest form contains only integer values,
- express a ratio in its simplest form,
- find an equivalent ratio,
- convert values in a word problem into a ratio.
Students should already be familiar with
- modeling sentences that represent a ratio using bar models, or otherwise,
- simplifying fractions,
- multiples of numbers.
Students will not cover
- ratios between three quantities,
- unit ratio,
- dividing a quantity in a given ratio.