Lesson Plan: Comparing Number Sentences: Numbers up to 20 Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to compare addition and subtraction sentences with numbers up to 20.
Students will be able to
- understand what each of the inequality symbols mean,
- use inequality symbols to compare addition equations within 20,
- use inequality symbols to compare subtraction equations within 20,
- identify a missing number to make an inequality statement correct,
- recognize that it is not always necessary to calculate the answers to each number sentence to compare them.
Students should already be familiar with
- addition strategies within 20, for example, making 10, doubles, and near doubles,
- subtraction strategies within 20, for example, counting on and counting back,
- reading and writing numbers up to 20.
Students will not cover
- number equations with a total larger than 20.