Lesson Plan: Adding Tens to Two-Digit Numbers Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to add a multiple of ten to a two-digit number and model this addition using place value blocks and place value charts.
Students will be able to
- model adding multiples of ten to a two-digit number by drawing pictures to represent amounts,
- add multiples of ten to a two-digit number using place value blocks,
- add multiples of ten to a two-digit number by drawing lines and dots to represent tens and ones,
- add multiples of ten to a two-digit number, recording the calculation in a place value chart.
Students should already be familiar with
- modeling two-digit numbers using place value blocks,
- adding ones to two-digit numbers,
- finding ten more and ten less than numbers up to 100.
Students will not cover
- numbers greater than 100,
- adding tens and ones to two-digit numbers.