Lesson Plan: Estimating Quotients: One-Digit Divisors Mathematics • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to replace factors with compatible numbers to estimate the quotient when the divisor is a one-digit number.
Students will be able to
- estimate quotients when dividing up to a four-digit number by a one-digit number using compatible numbers,
- use basic facts to find two values that the quotient is between,
- use basic facts to estimate the quotient when dividing up to a four-digit number by a one-digit number,
- discuss the accuracy of estimates,
- estimate to solve word problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- basic division facts,
- dividing multiples of 10, 100, or 1,000 by a one-digit number.
Students will not cover
- estimating quotients when the divisor is a two-digit number,
- the long division method.