Lesson Plan: Kingdom Animalia: Vertebrates Biology
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to recall the characteristics of different vertebrates within the animal kingdom.
Students will be able to
- define a vertebrate as an organism that possesses a backbone,
- recall that organisms belonging to the chordata phylum will possess a notochord,
- state the classes included in the chordate phylum and vertebrate subphylum as Amphibia, Reptilia, Aves, Mammalia, Agnatha, Chondrichthyes, and Osteichthyes,
- give some defining characteristics of each of these classes and classify given organisms into these classes,
- state the subclasses of class Mammalia and the 11 orders of subclass Eutheria.
Students should already be familiar with
- the concept that organisms are classified into groups based on their evolution and physical characteristics.