Lesson Plan: Estimating Sums and Differences: Four-Digit Numbers Mathematics • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to estimate sums and differences between numbers with up to four digits by rounding to the nearest ten, hundred, or thousand.
Students will be able to
- estimate sums by rounding to the nearest 1,000, 100, or 10,
- estimate sums by rounding to the highest place value,
- discuss the accuracy of estimates.
Students should already be familiar with
- rounding four-digit numbers.
Students will not cover
- using compatible numbers to estimate sums and differences.