Lesson Plan: Convex Lenses Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify the optical properties of convex lenses.
Students will be able to
- describe what a lens is,
- describe what a convex lens is,
- identify the optical axis of a convex lens,
- identify the center of curvature of a lens,
- describe what is meant by the term converging,
- identify the radius of curvature of the lens,
- recall that the focal length of a lens is the distance between the center of the lens and its focal point.
Students should already be familiar with
- the idea that light travels in straight lines,
- the refraction of light at the boundary between two media.
Students will not cover
- monoconvex lenses,
- concave lenses,
- the rules for drawing ray diagrams,
- Snell’s law,
- the refractive index,
- total internal reflection,
- the Huygens wavefront model,
- the lensmaker’s equation,