Lesson Plan: Corrosion Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to describe methods for the prevention of rusting of iron and identify metals less susceptible to oxide formation.
Students will be able to
- list different ways to prevent rusting and corrosion,
- explain the process of galvanizing and sacrificial protection,
- describe the process of passivation,
- identify ways to prevent corrosion given a specific situation.
Students should already be familiar with
- oxidation and reduction in terms of electron movement,
- the reactivity series of metals.