Lesson Plan: Area of a Triangle Mathematics • 6th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the area of a triangle using its base length and height.
Students will be able to
- find the area of right triangles,
- find the area of triangles,
- use models to show how the area of a triangle is related to the area of a rectangle,
- identify the base and height in triangles,
- state the formula for the area of a triangle as ,
- state the formula for the area of a triangle as area .
Students should already be familiar with
- finding the area of rectangles and squares using , ,
- using the correct notation for square units.
Students will not cover
- unit conversion.