Lesson Plan: Length and Area in the Coordinate Plane Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the distance between two points on the coordinate plane and find the area between three points that form a triangle.
Students will be able to
- find the distance between two points in the coordinate plane using the Pythagorean theorem,
- find the possible coordinates of a point given its distance from another point,
- compare the distances between three points,
- find the area of a triangle between three points using .
Students should already be familiar with
- finding horizontal and vertical distances in the coordinate plane,
- finding missing lengths using the Pythagorean theorem.
Students will not cover
- finding the area of a triangle using .