Lesson Plan: Rounding to the Nearest Ten Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use number lines and place value to round a two-digit number to the nearest ten.
Students will be able to
- name the two multiples of ten that a given two-digit number lies between,
- round a two-digit number to the nearest ten using a number line,
- say which numbers would round to a given value,
- round a two-digit number to the nearest ten by considering the value of the ones digit,
- investigate the accuracy of rounding methods,
- see the practical applications of rounding,
- solve word problems involving rounding two-digit numbers.
Students should already be familiar with
- counting in multiples of ten,
- representing two-digit numbers on number lines,
- the place value of two-digit numbers.
Students will not cover
- rounding numbers in order to estimate a calculation,
- rounding numbers greater than 100.