Lesson Plan: Power Rule of Derivatives Mathematics • Higher Education
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use the power rule of derivatives and the derivative of a sum of functions to find the derivatives of polynomials and general power functions.
Students will be able to
- relate the power rule of derivatives to the limit definition of derivatives,
- use the power rule of derivatives to differentiate functions of the form
- where is a positive or negative integer,
- where is a positive or negative fraction,
- understand how to apply the power rule of derivatives to functions involving sums and/or differences of terms,
- understand how to apply the constant multiple rule of derivatives.
Students should already be familiar with
- the limit definition of derivatives.
Students will not cover
- finding (or approximating) derivatives using tables or graphs,
- functions involving products or quotients of other functions,
- the product rule,
- the quotient rule,
- the chain rule.