Lesson Plan: Calculations with Scale Factors Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the perimeter and area of 2D shapes following an enlargement or reduction.
Students will be able to
- understand what properties of shapes are preserved and changed after an enlargement,
- calculate the perimeter or area of shapes when given a positive integer scale factor,
- calculate a positive integer scale factor when given the area or perimeter of a shape and its image after dilation (enlargement),
- perform calculations involving fractional scale factors.
Students should already be familiar with
- dilation with a positive integer scale factor,
- the area and perimeter of triangles and rectangles.
Students will not cover
- the area and perimeter of shapes after a fractional scale factor dilation.