Lesson Plan: Reactions of Carboxylic Acids Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe various reactions of carboxylic acids and predict what products are formed.
Students will be able to
- describe the acidity of carboxylic acids through their reaction with metals, metal oxides, metal hydroxides, carbonates, and hydrogen carbonates,
- describe the reactants, catalysts, and reaction conditions for the reaction of carboxylic acids with alcohols,
- describe the reactants, catalysts, and reaction conditions for the reduction of carboxylic acids to form alcohols,
- describe the acidity and esterification of aromatic carboxylic acids, with a focus on benzoic acid,
- describe the reaction with carbonates and the esterification reaction as tests for carboxylic acids,
- predict the products of the above reactions given the reactants and vice versa.
Students should already be familiar with
- the properties of carboxylic acids,
Students will not cover
- the mechanisms for any of the reactions,
- any reaction other than those listed above.