Lesson Plan: Substitution Reactions of Alkanes Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to define substitution reactions and write and interpret equations for substitutions of alkanes with halogens.
Students will be able to
- name different mono- and polysubstituted haloalkanes,
- define the terms substitution reaction and functional group in order to better understand reactions in organic chemistry,
- analyze the substitution reaction of an alkane reacting with a halogen to correctly predict the products,
- list uses of halogenated alkanes to explain their importance to society.
Students will not cover
- free radicals, their formation, or the mechanism of free radical substitution.