Lesson Plan: Units of Speed Physics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use different units of speed and convert between them.
Students will be able to
- recall the ratios of prefixed SI units of distance,
- recall the ratio between seconds and hours,
- recall the ratio between kilometers and miles,
- convert between speed values using meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), miles per hour (mph), and combinations of these,
- recognize approximate values of kilometers per hour (km/h) in meters per second (m/s) and vice versa to sanity-check answers given to questions about vehicular speeds.
Students should already be familiar with
Students will not cover
- calculations of any kinematic quantity other than speed.