Lesson Plan: Unconventional Halves
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to determine when irregular or unconnected shapes represent one half of a whole.
Students will be able to
- determine whether irregular or disconnected shapes represent one half of a whole,
- recognize that equal parts need the same area rather than the same shape,
- recognize when a shape has equal shaded and unshaded parts.
Students should already be familiar with
- recognizing halves when shapes are regular and connected,
- halves of a whole,
- halves of a group,
- recognizing equal parts,
- recognizing symmetric figures,
- fractions equivalent to .
Students will not cover
- fractions other than halves.