Lesson Plan: Measuring Heart Rate
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to predict and test a hypothesis about the impact of different activities on heart rate.
Students will be able to
- define the term heart rate,
- define the term hypothesis,
- make hypotheses about the impact of different activities on heart rate,
- describe how to find a pulse,
- measure heart rate by counting the number of beats in 15, 20, 30, or 60 seconds,
- fill in and interpret data tables,
- explain the impact of exercise on the heart.
Students should already be familiar with
- healthy and unhealthy habits,
- the role and location of the heart,
- the role of blood in transporting oxygen and nutrients,
- adding up to four two-digit numbers,
- reading data tables.
Students will not cover
- heart rate as an indicator of health,
- the impact of different activities on the breathing rate,
- blood pressure.