Lesson Plan: Polynomial Long Division without Remainder Mathematics • 10th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to perform long division on polynomials.
Students will be able to
- divide a polynomial by a first-degree divisor to find the quotient (no remainder),
- divide a polynomial by a higher-degree divisor to find the quotient (no remainder),
- find an unknown given that the result of a polynomial division equation has no remainder,
- solve applied problems using polynomial division, including
- word problems,
- geometric problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiplication and division of monomials,
- numerical long division,
- writing and evaluating numerical expressions.
Students will not cover
- the factor theorem,
- the remainder theorem,
- synthetic division.