Lesson Plan: Adding and Subtracting Money: GBP Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use addition and subtraction to solve two-step problems, such as finding the amount of money spent and the amount of change received.
Students will be able to
- solve two-step problems involving money,
- use models to help them choose the correct calculation,
- write addition and subtraction equations using the correct monetary symbols £ and p,
- write a sentence in words to answer a word problem.
Students should already be familiar with
- recognizing coins and notes used in the UK and identifying their monetary value,
- adding by counting on, partitioning, and regrouping,
- subtracting by counting on and counting back.
Students will not cover
- converting between pounds and pence,
- adding pounds and pence,
- decimal notation for money.