Lesson Plan: Column subtraction of Numbers up to 10,000: No Regrouping Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use the column method to subtract numbers with up to four digits when we do not need to regroup.
Students will be able to
- model the subtraction of a four-digit number from a four-digit number,
- use the column method to subtract four-digit numbers without regrouping,
- identify errors in solutions and explain the mistake that was made.
Students should already be familiar with
- column subtraction of two- and three-digit numbers.
Students will not cover
- regrouping when using column subtraction of four-digit numbers.