Lesson Plan: Equation of a Straight Line: Slope–Intercept Form Mathematics • 8th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the equation of a straight line in slope–intercept form given particular information, including its slope, its 𝑦-intercept, points on it, or its graph.
Students will be able to
- find the slope and -intercept from an equation in the general form ,
- find the equation of a straight line in slope–intercept form given
- the slope and its -intercept,
- the - and -intercepts,
- points on the line,
- the graph of the line,
- check if a point lies on a line,
- determine the slope and - and -intercepts given the slope–intercept form of a line,
- solve problems in a context involving the equation of a line.
Students should already be familiar with
- the distance between two points,
- the midpoint between two points,
- the slope of a line.
Students will not cover
- finding the equation of a line in the form ,
- solving simultaneous equations using two straight lines,
- equation of the line perpendicular to another line and passing through a point.