Lesson Plan: Ionization Energy Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to describe and explain the ionization energy of elements and ions.
Students will be able to
- explain and use the term ionization energy,
- list the factors that influence the ionization energies of different elements,
- explain the trends in ionization energies of different elements relative to their position in the periodic table,
- analyze tables of successive ionization energy data to determine information about unknown elements.
Students should already be familiar with
- the electronic configurations of atoms and ions,
- exothermic and endothermic processes,
- atomic structure.