Lesson Plan: Differentiation of Logarithmic Functions Mathematics • Higher Education
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the derivatives of logarithmic functions.
Students will be able to
- differentiate natural logarithmic functions,
- use the chain, product, and quotient rules for differentiation to differentiate complicated functions that involve different types of logarithmic functions,
- use the laws of logarithms to simplify a function before differentiating.
- find second and higher derivatives of logarithmic functions.
Students should already be familiar with
- the chain, product, and quotient rules for differentiation,
- differentiating polynomial, trigonometric, rational, and exponential functions,
- the logarithm rules.
Students will not cover
- using logarithmic differentiation to differentiate other functions.