Lesson Plan: Using Properties of Addition to Add Decimal Numbers Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use mental strategies, including applying the commutative and associative properties, to add three or more decimal numbers.
Students will be able to
- apply the commutative property to add 3 or 4 decimal numbers,
- apply the associative property to add 3 or 4 decimal numbers,
- use the properties of addition to solve simple word problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- the properties of addition,
- reading and writing decimal numbers.
Students will not cover
- adding decimals with more than two decimal places,
- subtracting decimals,
- adding money.