Lesson Plan: Multiplying Mixed Numbers by Whole Numbers Mathematics • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use various strategies to multiply a mixed number by a whole number.
Students will be able to
- use models to multiply mixed numbers by whole numbers,
- multiply mixed numbers by decomposing them into whole number parts and fractions,
- multiply mixed numbers by converting them into improper fractions,
- solve word problems involving multiplying mixed numbers by whole numbers.
Students should already be familiar with
- adding mixed numbers,
- decomposing mixed numbers into parts and wholes.
Students will not cover
- multiplying fractions by fractions.